Monday 16 March 2009

Perfect rehearsal

training stats: run 46K, cycled 1hr, 2 gyms

Apart from visits to London I haven't been to Britain since 2005 which is really a pity. Coming to England is like coming home. Setting foot on British ground let me feel better. Logically my Hastings Half Marathon turned out to become a big success!

After having a look at the route profile the evening before the race I was totally frightened. I knew that there was a climb at the beginning ... But I didn't expect the organisers to put in every hill around Hastings they could find. It is a really tough race.

However, conditions were perfect with sunshine and 13°c. Frightened as I was I started carefully and later I got more and more surprised by my own performance. Still able to smile on the promenade stretch I set a new age graded PB of 1:36:50 (= 1:23:22 = 71,6% perf.grade)!

The theory suggests that I would be able to run a full marathon well below 3:30... Alas I know that the longer the distance the weaker I run - but be sure I will try.

Photo: Kiplimo Kimutai of Kenya made the lead right from start to finish and cut off nearly 3 minutes off his own winning time of last year. He clocked an impressive 1:02:50 and crossed the finish line more than 3 min ahead of the runner-up.


Photo 2: The winning lady, Caroline Hoyte, had only 26 men in front of her at 1:16:56.

Photo 3: No 716 is a very happy finisher.


See complete gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/uli.witten

No comments:

Post a Comment