Friday 2 September 2011

Trans Sauerland

After I had to cancel the cycling marathon Dortmund-Winterberg a fortnight ago, the idea didn't let me go. This week I decided to do it on my own - eased on two consecutive days but with a longer distance as I started and finished at home in Witten with an overnight stay at Altastenberg which is Northrhine-Westfalias highest village at 790m.
First day had 149km and 1730 vertical meters, second day summed up 163km and 1560 vm.

Lunch stop at Möhne Reservoir. It is famous for its war history when the dam was destroyed by British Bombers in 1943 and about 1,600 people lost their lives.

The beautifully placed village of Hirschberg is known for its medieval witch hunts.

One has to climb the tower of the Kahler Asten to get to Westfalias highest point. The peak itself (841m) is only second highest while nearby Langenberg is 2m higher.

The route is a chain of short ups and downs. Below is the touristic village of Wenholthausen.

Sauerland is a low mountain range with extensive forestry industry and tourism in winter and summer. This is the view close to the village of Hövel.

I have to admit this tour was'nt the best preparation to run a half marathon in Bochum next Sunday. But this one must not be missed as it takes place on the streets of my childhood. I have ever thought about dying while running - this one would be one of my favourite events to pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment