Saturday 24 June 2006

World Cup 74 - Sweden, too

Friday: biking 69K, 3:07 hrs




Months before the World Cup 74 I bought some tickets assuming that West Germany (FRG) would win their group. Then they lost vs East Germany (GDR) and I had the wrong tickets. So we - my father and me - watched Netherlands vs. GDR in the afternonn in Gelsenkirchen, then we made our way to Düsseldorf, bought tickets on the black market in front of the stadium and supported West Germany vs Sweden. I don't have clear memories of these matches but I still remember that I saw 5 matches of the Dutch team and became a fan of their team. In 74 there were no quarrels between German and Dutch supporters. They both were just happy to have the two world's best players, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff.

No comments:

Post a Comment