Friday 4 July 2008

High level holiday

training stats:
various hillwalking, hillbiking, very few running

photo: biking at Kaiserbachtal, Tyrolia, with ridge of Wilder Kaiser for background


The next highlight is already one week ahead, my 5th run up Germany's highest mountain, Zugspitze at 2,968 meters above sea level. Only twice so far - 2005 and 2006 - we were allowed to go to the very top due to the weather conditions. Last year the official finish was at Sonnalpin station at around 2,500m but most of us - including me - continued to the top.

Obviously I am not as fit as I was in previous years but I still hope to take part in the race. The contract with myself is that this is my last Zugspitze run. Five times should do. OK, if I will still be fit at 60, maybe I will try again.

My training schedule is somewhat unstructured these days. I do a lot of hillwalking but I haven't been running for more than 50 minutes since the Stockholm Marathon which was about 6 weeks ago. I just hope biking will help too and enable me to run 16K and 2,400 meters of height difference to the top of Zugspitze. I even dream of finishing just within the top ten of my age group. Be sure I will fight as much as I can. Race takes place on July 13th. for more information look up
http://www.getgoing.de/

By the way for those of you interested in Alpine scenery I have completed my photo gallery by impressions of the Austrian Kaiserwinkl which I have visited for the first time but there is no doubt I will return.

photo: Walchsee as seen from Heuberg (can the world be more beautiful anywhere?)

No comments:

Post a Comment