Monday 7 September 2015

Sports disappointment and mountain success

stats of the week: run 21km, hillwalking 5 days
stats of the week before: cycled 236km
Oetztaler Cycling Marathon: DNF

Even after a week to think about I am still highly disappointed about my first competition within 30 years that I wasn't able to finish.

After 3 mountain passes and 186km covered I had to admit that it was a too high challenge for me. Almost half way up the Timmelsjoch there was no power left and I found it most important not to risk my health. Only later I noticed that it was still my 4th longest bike ride ever. Obviously my cycling history didn't qualify me to stand such a challenge. However, I failed to call myself a proper cyclist.

Two days before we had a glorious day on the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain at 2962m, and polished Uwe's memorial plate like we do yearly.


The following week was filled by high level Alpine walking. Highlight was the ascent of Similaun (3,599m).


After all I could have foreseen that my running performance could not be at its very peak. But I refused to abstain from starting at the local halfmarathon. And I got my punishment. Legs hurt a lot and the final lap of 6km was pure pain. Tendons and muscles still moan the next day. Time: 1:44:49. I lost 3 minutes within 6km.


Look how short my stride is at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment