Wednesday 24 May 2017

The sides of cycling

stats of the week: cycled 547 km

Had a great time at Emilia Romagna in Cesenatico. Cycling in a beautiful landscape and well catered for in the very friendly bike hotel Lungomare.

I also was happy with my performance at the Nove Colli bike marathon. I have to admit the view at the result list was somewhat sobering. My time of 10:28 h for 205 km and 3800 altitude meters was only good enough not be the very last one. 90 % of all 4,600 participants finished in front of me. And I felt to be fast...


I also enjoyed my rented Pinarello bike that enabled fast and safe driving. Especially the new Ultegra brakes seemed to work sensibly better.


The enjoyment was considerably muted when I noticed that - while I was in the area - two famous cyclists were killed by cars near Cesenatico. Julia Viellehner was a high level German triathlet who was overrun by an Italian lorry. She was 31 years. In a second accident two days later MotoGP world champion Nick Hayden (35) of USA got injured so badly that he died a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment