Tuesday 12 December 2006

Survived the Race

stats:
tu 12/12: medical checkup, indoor bike 300 watt
mo 12/11: gym, easy workout, 1 hr
su 12/10: race, 10.5K, 0:44:04 hrs (+3K warm-up)
sa 12/09: rest


Race day was a great day for sports in our town. Nearly one thousand runners, most of them school boys and girls, took part at what is called "
Wittener Weihnachtslauf" meaning Christmas Run. The main event was crowned by some professional runners turning up. There were two German champions and one runner-up who took the lead in the race as a matter of course.

Further back in the middle of the pack I was on my way. Luckily the calf was free of pain just in time. As this is the local event where one has to show up I refused to serve as a pacemaker. I wanted to go as fast as I could. The decision to run on my own might lead to future regret: My two favourite running mates allied themselves and ran together. And how they did it! Both finished third in their age category and got an award. Now they know that they can do better on their own - no male needed any more.


Meanwhile I struggled along the 6 laps through our city. Finally it was great fun to sprint the last part, fighting with three fellow runners for the better place in the middle of field. The only drawback was: One of them was 12 years older than me, the other even 21!


This is how it looks when I am struggling. Don't worry, I did my medical check today and the doc allowed me to keep on running like this.

But he diagnosed a cholesterol level of very high risk. What means I will have to refrain from every kind of sweets until the next check. I should better have done the test after christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment